OZ ATV :: The Australian ATV Forum Forum Index OZ ATV :: The Australian ATV Forum
Australia's Largest ATV Forum

2006 Yamaha Kodiak 450

Post new topic Reply to topic OZ ATV :: The Australian ATV Forum Forum Index -> 4x4 Quads
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hanras
50cc nipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:23 pm Post subject: 2006 Yamaha Kodiak 450 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Guys, first post here. And first bike of any kind in fact. So. Hello! Thought this might be to detailed for the intro forum, so hope its ok to be here? Anyways Im up the Hill Billy end up the country in Nth Qld.

Basically I needed to get a quad bike to help with spraying and towing loads around the property. Anything second hand still seems to cost 7 gazillion dollars. The Mrs Uncle has a Banana farm up here and this bike came up for sale. It had snapped the CVT drive belt and had basically been shoved into the corner and forgotten about. It's had a lot of use and zero respect given, but it was cheap and should do what I need it to do so I grabbed it.

Replaced the belt and got it moving under its own steam but need to go right over it to make it safe and reliable. The more I look the more I find stuff wrong with it, I've got to draw a line as to how far I go with it.... Otherwise it will end up being some sort of show bike that's to good ride and then sits in the shed all day.......

As I found it in the farm shed.

I went and checked out what they are new....yikes.

Hit up Bunnings for a hire trailer and dragged it home.

I forgot about the rust. Does anyone have a standard front bar they would like to sell????? Had one lined up to buy from Victoria from wreckers but they sold it on me.

Strip down begins. Plenty of rusted in bolts snapping left right and centre. They are so weak...

Hit it with truck wash and the gerni. Has a lot of surface rust on the frame and dirt stains that won't budge.

Giving the plastics some attention should bring them up ok.

All the brakes are stuffed. Rotors undersized and pads basically non existent...... Has actually been wearing the piston in their rear brake.... No wonder the back brakes didn't work!!!

Also had to replace the steering stem bush as its totally flogged and it looks like its actually worn the stem down to as there is still play there....

The rear uni join closest to the rear diff is totally flogged out and needs replacing. Dosnt look like a fun job? Air hammer to remove? Any tips?

Currently having a great deal of difficulty getting the lower front A Arm Ball joint to split....

Any one know of a supplier the can sell the fuel tank decals for this model bike? Dosnt seemt to be a lot of aftermarket parts around for them?

Ill keep up dating as things progress.

Sponsor
bigjon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the forum Hanras.

I hope you got that Kodiak cheap as it looks like a lot of work to get it in rideable shape.

Is your shed floor epoxy coated?

Hanras
50cc nipper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah nah. It's single pac painted. Acid etched the concrete that paint. Yeah mate, got the bike pretty cheap so it will be worth spending some money on.

Another weekend, some more bits fixed up. Replaced the steering stem bush and oil seals. Still a little bit of play as the stem is worn.....

Got new disc rotors fitted to the hubs. Need to repair the disc protector plates first before I go fitting the hubs back on. Fitted new pads to the front clippers though. So they are ready to go.

Rear Uni joint was totally flogged. No needle roller bearings left in the cups at all. Who knows how long it had been getting ridden like this.....?

Wasn't looking forward to this task.

Undid the rear diff mount bolts. Slid the diff backwards so the two piece tail shaft could be separeted. Flogged the old cups out. And got the old Uni out. New Uni went back in surprisingly easy. Wasn't such a bad job after all.

Bike came with a spare RHS lower control arm. The left has been replaced at some stage. So thought bugger it, might as well change it over whilst it's all apart. Could not for life of me separate the lower control arm ball join.... Tried a clamp, tried a wedge fork. Tried heat. Tried flogging it. Not budging.....

Ended up cutting the arm off, and removed the entire steering hub. Still couldn't get it budged on the bench. He heat had started to stuff the boot and the threads were looking a bit ordinary. Stuff. Cut the balljoint in half, will have to press the remainder of it out at work. What a mungral.......

Simple job now turned out to be a big one......

Hanras
50cc nipper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Todays progress. Hub back on. Brakes back on. Starting on cleaning/greasing the CVT now.

Got a new set of tyres off eBay for $399 & free freight.

Cleaned up the seriously over-greased CVT. I can't believe how much grease I took out of this thing. It was totally packed!!!

Put some Yamalube grease back. Waiting on a 1mm shim to arrive at the local Yamaha dealer before I can out this back in. I've given the faces of the primary and secondary sheave a good hit with sandpaper also.

I want to get the racks, rims and bull bar powder coated. I'll have to get the bar repaired as I can't find a replacement. Thinking about maybe silver wheels instead of black?

bigjon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good progress!

I'd keep the wheels black, but that's my opinion.

Have you checked any US websites for an aftermarket bumper?

Post new topic Reply to topic OZ ATV :: The Australian ATV Forum Forum Index -> 4x4 Quads All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: